algea bloom

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

algea bloom

Postby ice fish on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:13 pm

woke up this morning with a unpleasant green algea bloom on my glass as well as what looks to be diatoms on a piece or two of my live rock. this from the new bioload i put into the tank with the two new fish? what would you suggest to get rid of it? ive got the lights cut and have been off all day. over a dozen snails as well as hermit crabs, a sea urchin and a tang to help with the algea. much appreciated
ice fish

Re: algea bloom

Postby sslak on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Is this a new tank?
Steve
sslak

Postby ice fish on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:39 pm

new to me yes, its a established tank i bought off someone. been doing alot of maintaining to bring it back. i believe i have the algae problem fixed as ive been killing the lights everynight. but any other suggestions on keeping it cleaner is greatly appreciated
ice fish

Postby Kaya on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

I always had diatoms and that pesky green algae in my tanks until I cut my halide hours to 6 hours per day. LED actinics come on at 10, and off at 8, halides from noon to 6. What is your current lighting schedule? How big is the bio-load, and how much do you feed said bioload? How big is the tank, and how much and often are you changing the water? Lastly, what skimmer do you run?

Another semi-fix is to invest in some sort of media reactor(s). GFO/Carbon is what I run, but, many have success with biopellets. For a quicker fix, I would suggest what I run. Bulkreefsupply.com sells a double chambered kit that is pretty good, and not too heavy on your wallet.

Good Luck!!!

-Kaya
Kaya

Postby ice fish on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 pm

1:What is your current lighting schedule? at around 7 i turn on my T5 light fixtures. i stopped turn on the halides since i dont really need them for anything in my tank except the anemone

2.How big is the bio-load, and how much do you feed said bioload? anemone, 2 dozen hermits, sea urchin, maroon clown, variety of snails, antennata lionfish, and my new addition is the one spot foxface

3.How big is the tank, and how much and often are you changing the water? 55 gallon tank and 15% every week too two weeks depending on how i see the water looking.

4.what skimmer do you run? Remora C skimmer pro i believe? i had to readjust the flow inside the skimmer but id say its ok other then the noise. unless theres better suggestions on skimmers? its also the HOB one dont have any sump set up yet just my fluval fx5 canister filter
ice fish

Return to MARS General