DFS Tour / Open House - Nov 15th

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

DFS Tour / Open House - Nov 15th

Postby BraenDead on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:06 am

Is anyone else from MARS planning on going to the DFS open house scheduled on November 15th? Currently my wife and I are signed up for the trip, and I'm curious if we'll see any other MARS members there. If anyone isn't familiar with this, there is more information here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/gene ... agesid=468

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: DFS Tour / Open House - Nov 15th

Postby nasanek on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this Bob, I registered to go, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to make it. I've never been there before, do they have other inverts/fish besides what is in the divers den, and the coral propagation obviously? I seem to remember someone telling me they house a lot of their livestock at a different site.

Thanks,
Nick
Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel.
~Horace Walpole
nasanek

Postby BraenDead on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 am

Nick,

They don't have a big selection of inverts. For the most part, they only have things for sale that are on Divers Den, or that are soon to be listed on Divers Den (they may have 200 pieces ready to sell, but only put 20 on Divers Den per day). There are some other things at LiveAquaria that are not part of the Divers Den that are in Rhinelander, but not a ton. On the LiveAquaria site, there is a label for each item showing if it ships from California or Wisconsin. Everything labelled Wisconsin is at the facility in Rhinelander.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby electraglide999 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:41 pm

We went back in august. The retail store will be open. They took two separate groups through the Aquaculture facility. Does not really matter what group your in. You go by the main Offices, This is where the show tanks are. They don't take you into the offices, but I believe if you ask they will show you the show tanks.

The Aquaculture facility Coral mainly consist of SPS. They do have a lot of Lps and Zoas/palys. Well not a lot when we were there, was a little disappointed. They do have livestock (Fish) and will sell. There is also a quarantine section for the fish / Not sure if you can buy from the quarantine section. I seen plenty of fish I never seen before and Yes they were for sale.

To purchase coral/live stock, Find a worker and they will get a bin for you. You pick out your coral and they will collect it and place in a bin. No need to follow your bin around, just remember your number/paper work that is handed to you and It will be waiting for you at the packing station. Add to it if you want and continue to shop around. When you check out at the packing station, F&S will pack your coral and then another worker will process your payment. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CASH, only credit card. Sure glad I had my card with me.

They will also have a raffle at a set time. We then returned to the Retail store and the shelves were cleaned out. They were full when we got there, people were buying stuff like crazy. If there is something you really want have them pull it from the warehouse for you. They will email you a cut off date when your dry good order / date has to be turned in. Sure I am miss something but you get the idea.

We had fun, I would do it again but may hold off for a couple year. -Joe
electraglide999

Postby BraenDead on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Joe - great write up on the experience. Couple notes:
- Quarantine section: these items are not for sale - they will only sell stuff from the main section
- Payment stuff: Credit Card AND gift certificates. I only say this because right now DFS is giving you $10 worth of gift cert for every $50 you spend at DFS (gift certs expire at 11:59pm on the 15th, so can be used at the tour). I just ordered some dry goods in order to get some gift certificates for this purpose :)

I've done the tour 2 or 3 times in the past and am looking forward to do it again!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:12 am

How was the tour?
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:29 am

The tour was really nice! The facility has changed a little bit since the last time I was there (2009), but for the most part it is how I remember it. It looks like they are expanding a bit and moving some things around, which is nice to see. It was really nice to see and talk to Kevin and Steve, who have been there quite some time and do a great job at LA. The livestock all looked great and there were a lot of people making purchases. My wife even convinced me to spend more than I originally planned to spend, so I have a bit of new things in the tank now (and need to spend some time learning best care for some LPS I haven't kept before). I did see one other person from Madison (Kevin S.), but think it would be great to try to get more MARS members to a future LA open house.

Compared to the last time I Was there (2009), one of the big improvements is more of the things have prices on them, so you don't need to find someone and ask pricing on everything. This made it much easier to plan purchases out. They also gave discounts: 0-$250 10% off, $250 to $500 15% off, and $500+ 20% off (I accidentally ended up in this tier). Anyways - it was worth the trip for me and I'd be interested in going again, and hopefully getting more MARS people along!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am

I think it was 2009 when I went.

You should post some pics of what you bought! :)
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 am

I need to take more pictures of my tank - I'll try to get something up in the tank build forum at some point to start photo documenting my tank :)

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to MARS General