How are your tanks?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

How are your tanks?

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:12 am

Hasn't been much activity on here, and I'd like to try to spark some discussion. How are your tanks doing? Anyone have any fun projects they are working on with their tanks? Need help with anything?

I'll start! I've been rebuilding my 75g tank since earlier this year, after it had 100% crashed last year during a total power loss to the tank. I've been going slow, but it's been up and running since spring of this year, and has a number of corals growing and doing well. I haven't had the growth rate on acro's that I used to have yet, but everything seems to look healthy. For now, I am just working on keeping things stable, and moving slowly with everything.

Thinking that at some point a 120g may be in my future, or even something 4' wide by 3' deep by 2' tall. This is likely a ways off, but it doesn't hurt to think about it now, does it? Anyways - how are your tanks doing?? Any other ideas to spark some discussions on here?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: How are your tanks?

Postby Longinus on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:31 am

Your tank looked great when I saw it a few weeks ago! Doing something 3' deep could be really cool, I remember seeing some really epic tanks that were deeper like that before and it really made them look more natural. I think adding depth helps you appreciate larger specimens as well, which sometimes take up so much space when they are close that you start to loose some of the structure. Im thinking of Steve Weasts tanks here and they always seemed so beautiful to me when I started into the hobby. Ive found that true in my own tanks too, I went both short/deep (30 breeder) and long/narrow (33g long) and found that the 4x12x12 33 long lost a lot of the natural look by having a "row of stacked rocks" type aquascape, while the 30 breeder let me do mini reef islands space inbetween for fish to swim, making it feel more natural. Plus it let me isolate specimens I wanted to prevent from spreading too far, like some zoas which are fast growers and need to be kept in check.

Im planning to post build logs before too long of my home build and the school build, having two going on simultaneously makes for slow going but lets me practice things on the home tank so I dont mess up on the schools tank.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby BraenDead on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for the comments! Just trying to spark some discussion on here :)

As for the depth of the tank, I started years ago with a 55g and thought that the depth of a 75g was great (12" vs 18"). Now I feel like 18" is still too constricted and would like to upgrade, but am not sure if 24" will be enough (it's only another 6" deep, which doesn't seem like that much, and 4" higher which I'm not sure I care about). I am pretty restricted to 4' wide with my in-wall tank, but additional depth should be easy to accommodate.

It'd be great to see some updates on your tanks! I should really spend some time doing a "build thread" even though it's not much of a build at this point, just something to document the journey.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Longinus on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Yeah, 36" deep would be pretty nice, my only concern would be maintenance in the middle of the tank if you have to work on anything lower down in the tank. I remember when I had a 58 oceanic, that thing was pretty tall and I was up to my shoulder trying to get down into it. The old 175g school tank was pretty beastly, it was at least as tall as my old oceanic (probably around 30, I havent measured it yet) and working anywhere in it was a pain in the butt. The guy who used to take care of it just about fell in a couple of times from what I hear.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Return to MARS General