Nutricell Acro Feeding Review

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Nutricell Acro Feeding Review

Postby jservedio on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I have always fed my acros Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast and always considered it the ideal food for them - however after moving up here and learning that none of the stores stocked it and none would special order it, I was stuck with a really limited supply of what I could feed. Rotifers and Baby Brine are great for a handful of Acros that can choke down the large particles, but the vast majority of my acros wouldn't respond to it - so I decided to give New Life Specrum Nutricell a shot. It is a fine powder with particle sizes from 10 to 80 microns, which is ideal for most acros and pretty close in size to Oyster Eggs (2-200 microns). They claim that since it is encapsulated, it won't release nutrients into your tank before it is filtered out, but I highly doubt those claims and it wasn't really a factor - I care much more about feeding response.

To test it out, I waited until night time and shut off my return pump and MP10s. I target fed my LPS limpets and waited about 15 minutes before turning the powerheads back on (leaving the return off). That typically kicks some of the acros into feed mode so I broadcast a little bit of the nutricel (about 10% of what I would feed) and waited another half hour to judge their response before target feeding. To my surprise, nearly every single acro was responding and only a few ignored it. I target fed each responding acro a total of 3 times over the span of about an hour, turning the powerheads off while targeting and then turning them back on after a couple minutes to ensure that nothing settled out. By the end, I had massive mesenterial filaments out on nearly every acro - something I haven't seen before since I stopped getting oyster eggs. Surprisingly, even some of the tiny-polyped acros responded - including my Hawkins which I haven't seen mesenterial filaments coming from since I moved. The only two acros that didn't respond were my Suharsonoi and tiny Lokani - both of which responded to oyster eggs. I guess they need particles smaller than 10 microns or they were just mad when I fed. I'll have to update when I feed again.

All in all - I was really surprised with how well it worked and how strong of a feeding response I got with it. As long as you take your time to properly feed like you would with Oyster Eggs, it works incredibly well and a little bit goes a very long way. I would imagine feeding my acros once a week or every other week, a single $9 container will last many years - something oyster eggs don't do.

I like it and I will try and keep this thread updated with how it effects my nutrients compared to other foods and if I see any huge improvements in growth or color (which I hope, since things slowed down since I couldn't feed oyster eggs).
jservedio

Re: Nutricell Acro Feeding Review

Postby BraenDead on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 am

Interesting - did you pick this up locally, or online? I'm interested to hear how the overall effects are with feeding this, please keep this updated :)

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby jservedio on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 am

BraenDead wrote:Interesting - did you pick this up locally, or online? I'm interested to hear how the overall effects are with feeding this, please keep this updated :)

Bob

I just picked up a second MP10 this week from MarineDepot and figured I would toss that in the cart as well since it was under $10. I plan on feeding it once a week and will keep an eye on my phosphates, though I do have my GFO back on. I let my DI get way too exhausted and was doing water changes that had more phosphate in the new water than my tank had, so I am running GFO for teh next couple of months again. I will probably continue feeding this stuff or a at least the next year (unless Living Art decides to stock Reef Nutrition products), so I will try and keep this updated with progress.

I am really interested in how it compares to the Oyster Eggs because I know that stuff is amazing and I actually did notice a real difference when I stopped feeding it and moved up here. I use LEDs and within 2 months of when I stopped feeding Oyster Eggs, the sides and undersides of my acros that get much less light faded significantly. I am hoping this stuff compares nutritionally.

At least I know for sure that the acros will readily consume it, now I just need to see if they can get nutrition out of it. When I started feeding Oyster Eggs, I knew within a month that there was a huge benefit, so we shouldn't have to wait too long to see about this stuff.
jservedio

Postby Jake on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey, nice review. I've never heard of this food until now. Can you provide some more details about how much you use per feeding and what you were using for a tool to target feed. Thanks!!
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Return to MARS General