Ozone... Anyone running it, or run it in the past?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Ozone... Anyone running it, or run it in the past?

Postby BraenDead on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 am

Is anyone currently, or has previously, run ozone in their system? If so, what have your experiences been with it? This is something that I have contemplated running ozone on my system for a while, but it's always been on the back of the list and I've never actually done it. I am getting closer to biting the bullet but wanted to see what the thoughts were from local reefers.

If you don't run ozone and have a strong opinion on it, I'm also interested to hear your thoughts.

Mainly I am looking to get the benefit of "cleaner/clearer" water with better light penetration, and better breakdown of organics in the system. It seems like once the system is up and running, it doesn't have any recurring costs and minimal maintenance (baking the silica air drying beads), which is another benefit.

If you do run it or have run it, I'm also interested in how you ran it and which equipment you used.

Thoughts/experiences?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Ozone... Anyone running it, or run it in the past?

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:46 pm

I used to run ozone when I had the 180 gallon tank. Injected it right into the protein skimmer. Took care of my algae problem and made the water crystal clear. Bought mine off of eBay from Hong Kong.
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Did you run the ozone generator with an air pump, or did it include an air pump in the generator?

One of the things I'm not sure about is how you match the air pump with the air draw of the skimmer (or perhaps I am overthinking this?)

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:47 pm

The ozone generator included an air pump. I also ran it on a controller. I had it turn on every 8 hours. Once the water was crystal clear and all the algae gone I cut the time down on how long it would run every 8 hours. Was eventually down to 10 minutes every 8 hours. Was on longer when I first started using it - don't remember how long it was.
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:48 pm

So, when the ozone generator was not running, I assume the skimmer was still running? Was it pulling air through the ozone generator (just with the generator turned off)? Did this cause any issues with skimmer performance being different when the generator was off?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I think mine may have been 200mg. It was a lot like this one though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ozone-Generator ... 4ae04a0387

I bought a special piece for my skimmer - a ozone input port.
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:59 pm

Scroll down towards the bottom - many different options available now days for ozone input: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-s ... pment.html
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:01 pm

The skimmer ran 24 x 7. Since the ozone came in through a separate connection it did not impact the performance of the skimmer.
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:14 pm

To clarify - was there a T or Y connection on the air intake for the skimmer, with one side pulling from ozone and the other side pulling fresh air?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm

Neither. There was a separate hole drilled and fitting installed. When the ozone was running the ozone would mix with the air intake being pulled in.

Hard to see - couldn't find a good pic - but here hopefully you can see the main air intake (the white thicker tube) and the ozone line going into the same area - smaller tube about the size of airline but made out of a special material to stand up to the ozone. I dissolved a few PVC parts with ozone. :)

Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:28 am

Steve - this helps a lot, thanks! I'll have to think a bit more to figure out the best way to run it with my system, but you've given me some good ideas. What ORP did you run your controller at?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Rueg on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:03 am

I did not have ORP on my main controller. I bought a used ORP specific controller at one point - and the ORP was always so low the Ozone ran 24 x 7. It did go up a little, but never made it to the setpoint. So, I eventually didn't use it because I didn't like running the ozone 24 x 7. I liked using the multi-timer on my controller and would have the ozone turn on every 8 hours for a set amount of time. If this is for your tank in your office you will want to consider you will be in a enclosed space and the smell of ozone may build up a little. I like the smell of ozone, but some people don't. And then there is the whole thing about it not being good for you. You may want to consider UV over ozone if this is a concern for you.
Rueg

Postby BraenDead on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 am

The tank is in-wall at my house in the basement now (moved it a few years ago), so the ozone shouldn't be too big of a concern. I plan on keeping carbon on top of the skimmer cup to help cut down on the ozone smell. Lot's of good information here - it may take a month or two before I pull the trigger on this, but I'll try to post a thread on how the ozone is doing for me.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MM on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:27 pm

I have used in the past. Back in the 80s I used it on some of my tanks. It works well when used with an ORP controler, platinum electrode. I do not use it anymore but it does work. I would call it over kill today. You can run a tank today that will have 400 orp without Ozone. If you are looking for supper clean no algae water it will do it.

Use an air drier for the input into the Ozone generator, and use carbon on the air coming out of the Ozone reactor. You don't want Ozone in your air as it is toxic. Carbon will react with any ozone coming out of the reactor and keeping out of your air.

- Mark
MM

Postby BraenDead on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am

I'll add it to the "do further research/consideration" list. It's something I've always been interested in trying, but my tank already runs 410-430mV, so I'm not sure how much ozone would get added before the controller kicked it off. I'll keep this updated if I move forward with it.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Return to MARS General