Acro growth rate still slow

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: Acro growth rate still slow

Postby BraenDead on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:32 pm

I haven't tried feeding yet, but it's on my list of things to try. In general, I tend to move slowly with things and have already made a couple changes to my system to see what the response will be (mainly elevating the pH to 8.2-8.3). I'd also like to try amino acid additions, to see if that makes any impact as well. If there are any good locally available foods to try feeding the acros I'd like to know about them, otherwise will do my research and order something when ready to test this part.

If you get a group buy for the Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, let me know - I'd be interested.

I'm heading to DFS this weekend for the open house/tour (been about 6 years since I last toured). I see that they have this product: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=28135 (Mfr link: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/sps-max-detail.cfm). Any experience or thoughts on this?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby jservedio on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:02 pm

BraenDead wrote:I haven't tried feeding yet, but it's on my list of things to try. In general, I tend to move slowly with things and have already made a couple changes to my system to see what the response will be (mainly elevating the pH to 8.2-8.3). I'd also like to try amino acid additions, to see if that makes any impact as well. If there are any good locally available foods to try feeding the acros I'd like to know about them, otherwise will do my research and order something when ready to test this part.

If you get a group buy for the Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, let me know - I'd be interested.

I'm heading to DFS this weekend for the open house/tour (been about 6 years since I last toured). I see that they have this product: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=28135 (Mfr link: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/sps-max-detail.cfm). Any experience or thoughts on this?

Bob

I hear you about moving slow. Feeding is just about the only thing I don't move slowly on, even amino acids I spent months researching and starting at very, very low levels.

It looks promising as at least an additive to a normal SPS feeding blend, but I'd be worried about particle sizes which look to be pretty small (1.5-12 microns)and I have never tried with anything quite that small. I know some acros are perfectly capable of eating stuff all the way up to 500 microns or so and about 1/3 of the acros in my tank will gladly take stuff up to 250-300 microns and every single one was capable of eating oyster eggs (10-200 microns - including my suharsonoi). Not sure what the need is for such small particles or if they are better, but it definitely can't hurt to give it a try. I will definitely try and get a Reef Nutrition group buy together maybe around Christmas.

I am definitely interested in seeing how that stuff works out though. If everything eats it up I'll have to get a bottle. Definitely more convenient then mixing a bunch of frozen baby brine, rotifers, and any other stuff I can find together.
jservedio

Postby jelly on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:34 pm

try to bring your temp up some.. I run mine around 82 to 83 and I get good growth.. it helps to get there metabolism going and with better metabolism the faster they grow
Wounded Warrior Project Alumni.
larger skimmers and calcium reators of all sizes
http://www.aquariumeng.com/index.html#
jelly

Postby MM on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:26 pm

This is not my area of course but when I have kept the sps in the past I found the best growth at 10 and 12k MH and If I had a lot of technology on the system I did a bit of feeding of the corals - biweekly night time feeding of some green water and some phytoplanction and VHO actinics to keep them colored up. Tanks without oversized skimmers and lots of natural zones for critters I would not bother feeding. Bare bottom, lots of fancy equipment and with over sized skimmer and lots of diff filter medias I would feed regularly. Just some quick thoughts but as i said this is not my area. :) Good Luck, I am sure you will get it where you want it soon.

- Mark
MM

Postby BraenDead on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Just a quick update. In the past two weeks things seem to be improving a bit. I've noticed a bit more growth the past 2 weeks in the corals, and I've also observed significant increase in the growth of calcareous algae (Coralline). The primary change was increasing the pH a bit by adding a CO2 scrubber to the air intake on the protein skimmer. I noticed an immediate increase of the tank pH by 0.2 to 0.3 points.

I'll keep monitoring things, and will try giving feeding a try at some point as well.

The CO2 scrubber is certainly interesting: I used the BRS universal air filter along with the BRS CO2 absorbent media. The media is unfortunately fairly expensive, $50 for 9lbs, and it sounds like this is good for 7 fills of the air filter. It looks like it is close to needing to be replaced, so I will likely get ~2weeks of use from each media fill. Assuming I continue to be happy with this, I will likely try a different absorbent media - I can get 45lbs of Intersorb 812 for $139 (used in Rebreathers for scuba diving). Assuming it is as effective as the BRS media, this should last about 35 fills, or 70 weeks - about $100/yr.

Another note regarding the temperature - I am contemplating raising my temperature from 78.5 median to 79.5 or 80.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MM on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:32 pm

the CO2 media can't be regerated? If not that is a lot of expense.

Glad to hear things are improving :)

- mark
MM

Postby BraenDead on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 am

Unfortunately the CO2 media cannot be regenerated, at least according to my research. I'm expecting that in the spring/summer the media should last quite a bit longer since windows will be open in the house and less CO2 in the house (hopefully).

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby drdavis on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:09 am

Many of my SPS corals grow slow and like you I have a calcium reactor on my system with a total water volume of 435 Gallons and my parameters are near equal. I read this thread yesterday and it matches some advise I received from someone who services tanks here locally.

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/show ... d45c57ad44

I do not have RTN or STN but lowering some of the levels temporarily is something I am going to try.
drdavis

Postby BraenDead on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:44 am

drdavis - thanks for linking that thread. Please keep me updated how your changes go, I feel like some things have improved but others could still use improving. It's a continual balance but I feel like the solution can't be too far away.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MARS General