Seahorses

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Seahorses

Postby MM on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I have no experience with these critters. Never had much interest in tnem in the past, but I recently on a whim bought a pair of wild caught H Reidi. They are kinda cool and the tank I have them is working nicely. They are in with some docile fish. A young pair of clowns and a gobi. They all pretty much ignore each other and none are agressive eaters or agressive.

Where I need help is getting them on freshly thawed mysis. Right now they are busy hunting in the tank all day. The male will eat some mysis if he is hungry but the female i do not believe has touched it. I have been feeding her live fairy shrimp from the other tanks once a day but would really love to get them both on frozen if breading this pair is going to work.

Any advice.

thanks - Mark
MM

Re: Seahorses

Postby drdavis on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:58 am

First I would caution you against keeping Seahorses with clowns because they will always outcompete the Seahorses at feeding time so your clowns will eat the majority of the food and because the seahorses do not have a stomach they cannot store food and will die after a short period of time because they just are not eating enough.

Hopefully you have already read or heard that seahorses MUST be fed multiple times per day and twice a day feedings are really the minimum.

Fusedjaw.com is a good source of information and this site has an article showing how to convert captive bred seahorses to frozen:

http://www.aquarium-design.com/invert/feedseahorse.html

The reality for wild caught seahorses is that they often die of lack of nutrition or disease because captivity is so challenging and it takes someone who understands them to make the appropriate adjustments to keep them alive.

One thing to try if you have a refugium is loading it with Copepods and amphipods. When they make it to the DT they will be a continuous source of food. Good luck to you.
drdavis

Postby MM on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:07 pm

I knew the clown stuff was coming. It will not be a problem.

Thanks for the link though. :)

I am not in the hobby the worry about dogma or to do what everyone else does. Every strain of sea horses that are being bread in captivity started with a wild strain. Yes it is easier to start with captive breed because they will already be eating commercial feeds. I am feeding them once a day with live so that they will be hungry enough to eat the mysis when I try to get them to eat it. Twice a day with freshly thawed mysis plus what they get naturally in the tank will rock if I can get them both to take the mysis. I have the male eating the mysis but no luck with the female. She has learned to watch the tip of the turkey bastor for the live shrimp and other critters I give her. I think that may lead to her taking the mysis eventually. My only worry about the other fish is that if I do get them to breed the little sea horses will be a nice meal for them. I think I will be able to come up with something for that. There are some commerical products designed to soak the mysis in for seahorses i wil check out at some point. For now I need to get the female eating frozen.

Thank you again for the link, I will check it out.

Has anyone else in here bought wild caught? Got them eathing?

- Mark
MM

Postby MM on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:46 pm

That link was helpful, these H Reidi are very docile. He suggests hand feeding ghost shrimp live, and then trying hand feeding mysis to get them used to it. I think some of our LFS have live ghost shrimp? I remember Paul having them the last time I had a Radiata Lion to feed.

Still looking for more local knowdge or a local H Reidi breeder to trade babies with to make unrelated pairs.

- Mark
MM

Postby MM on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:39 pm

OK I think I might have this figured out.

I am still feedling live crustations from the other tanks and live ghost shrimp once a day, while trying to feed frozen once a day. The male sometimes takes the frozen and the female never. I noticed that they had no trouble taking a dead ghost shrimp that I squzed too hard by mistake while trying to hand feed, so I decided the frozen i an using is not fresh enough. I bought a bag of raw frozen shrimp for human consumption. The female went nuts on it.

Conclusion: I just need a better brand of mysis. I remeber years ago most of us used the same brand of mysis. I am going to look for itl I do not remember the brand but i will recognize it when I see in the LFSs.

Any input would be appreaciated. I am sure some of you have raised a few batches of baby seahorses in the past or have kept the larger horses in your tanks before. Please share any advice you might have.

- Mark.
MM

Postby Carinya on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 pm

When I had seahorses I had better luck feeding them if I put the mysis into a feeding station of sorts. It was just some type of shallow bowl in the rockwork & I'd carefully put in the mysis with a baster. The bowl kept the mysis together & available. They'd snick at it from there. Good luck!
Carinya

Postby MM on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks I will try that.

They are still eating mostly live. They occasionally eat the mysis or a thawed raw shirmp. Last night I put about a hundred little shrimp I collected from one of the other tanks in there. They really love that but mostly they get ghost shrimp. I have been trying water changes to try to get the water quality up thinking they would like the frozen more if they were in a more ideal water quality. No luck yet.

Thanks for the input. - mark
MM

Return to MARS General