New to the hobby and I have a ton of questions!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Re: New to the hobby and I have a ton of questions!

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:15 am

drdavis wrote:You really need to pick a direction and go that way or you will spend lots of money and never get water in the tank.

+1.

There are many ways to effectively filter a reef tank, and they all can work and all have their downsides; that's why the dominant filtration theory in the hobby changes over time. I used a bioball wet/dry filter for years (with an airdriven skimmer) and it worked well -- grew mushrooms and soft corals like nothing else, but it wouldn't have worked for Acropora. Lately live rock and carbon dosing seems to be the dominant methodology, though I had nothing but negative impacts on my system with vodka dosing.

I currently use a live rock refugium (no light -- I took out the algae refugium because it was a pain to keep clean and didn't really seem to do anything for water quality), skimmer and a sulfur denitrator. If I had a bioball sump and didn't want to spend money or time on something different, I'd use those bioballs and have a nice soft coral/LPS tank.
Socratic Monologue

Postby MercBenz on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Where you putting the Vodka directly in the tank or drinking it first?!?! O.o

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
MercBenz

Postby MercBenz on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm starting to lean towards the algae scrubber using the natural waterfall area of the bio balls. Any reason why I shouldn't add a piece of live rock to the skimmer area.

(Don't beat me up to bad if that's a rookie mistake idea!)
MercBenz

Postby ice fish on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:30 pm

i dont really see a reason why to add it to the skimmer area or not too. if you want to put a boulder there thats your choice. but the skimmer will do better where it has the whole cube of the area its in to skim rather then a bunch of rocks or ROCK inside it. this hobby is about what you prefer and what your willing to do/risk. if you think its a good idea within reason then do it, try it out. with what your thinking the worst that can happen is the skimmer doesnt skim a whole lot and you have to move the rock. always good to ask questions and keep asking them. i do all the time still and have lots of help.
ice fish

Postby Mpiv on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Liverock with the skimmer shouldn't hurt anything. But it probably won't help much either. Some people like the bare bottom sumps because they siphon all the crap that accumulates from the sump. Liverock gets in the way and makes it more difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mpiv

Previous

Return to MARS General