Heaters not keeping up!

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Heaters not keeping up!

Postby BraenDead on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:26 am

My tank is an in-wall tank in my basement and with the cold streak this week, today is the first time my twin 200-W heaters are unable to keep up with heating my tank. It's running 2 degrees below where it should be running and I keep getting alerts from my Apex today. Looks like it's time to add a third heater to my system for really cold days! Anyone else having any similar issues?

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Heaters not keeping up!

Postby starboard on Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

If you're looking for a heater check out Paradigm Gardens off of Stoughton Rd.. Last time I checked they had these http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Jager_ ... GH-vi.html
and something close to or even the Titanium heaters.
starboard

Postby MadCityReefer on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:44 pm

I use a 500 watt titanium heater and apex
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 am

I would love to be able to use a larger heater, but I had found that many of them were too long to fit where I'd like them to be in my sump. I found that the Eheim Jager 200W heaters I have work well and were the right size - but apparently with this frigid weather they have a hard time keeping up when the lights aren't on. I'll start to look at options and see what I can come up with.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby starboard on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:11 am

I use 3x 300 watt Fluval heaters in the winter and 2 in the summer. 1 heater in the sump , 1 in the refugium , and 1 in the frag tank. My display doesn't need one since the canopy insulates it pretty good.
starboard

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:43 pm

BraenDead wrote:I would love to be able to use a larger heater, but I had found that many of them were too long to fit where I'd like them to be in my sump. I found that the Eheim Jager 200W heaters I have work well and were the right size - but apparently with this frigid weather they have a hard time keeping up when the lights aren't on. I'll start to look at options and see what I can come up with.

Bob

How long because the Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heating Tubes

Heating Tube

TH-300 300W 2.7 A 40-80 74" 10" long
TH-500 500W 4.5 A 70-130 73.5" 14" long
TH-800 800W 9 A 140-265 73" 16.5" long

•Resists corrosion
•Virtually unbreakable
•Fast heating
•Requires heating controller to operate

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/finnex-de ... MgodqxcAoA
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Cliff,

I was looking at those - my one concern would be that if the controller flakes out, it doesn't have a secondary heat controller or thermostat (such as a built in thermostat). Granted, I don't want to rely on a built-in thermostat to maintain the temperature of the system, but I also prefer to know that it is there as a fail-safe should my controller have issues.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Additional thought: I should also add that if my controller freaks out, my aquarium could potentially have a lot of problems...

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MadCityReefer on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:05 pm

BraenDead wrote:Cliff,

I was looking at those - my one concern would be that if the controller flakes out, it doesn't have a secondary heat controller or thermostat (such as a built in thermostat). Granted, I don't want to rely on a built-in thermostat to maintain the temperature of the system, but I also prefer to know that it is there as a fail-safe should my controller have issues.

Bob

That's why you have an Apex brotha and you could add Finnex DIGITAL Heater Controller w/Memory Chip in line with your Apex
http://premiumaquatics.com/products/fin ... MgodnwwASQ
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby SPSKeeper on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Hey Bob, I had similar issues in the past and found an easy solution online. One thing to keep in mind, is that depending on your entire systems water volume, is that having two heaters next to each other is actually counter productive. I don't know what your setup is like, but if you can keep them as far away from each other as possible, you might find that it could help alleviate the problem as they are trying to combat and/or compete against one another if they are too close. The biggest problem with having heaters right next to each other is that if one of them is on heating the water, the others internal thermostat is going to register that as the water being the desired temperature because it's just mechanical. It's not going off of what the entire water volume is at. Placing them away from eachother gives both heaters internal chips to be able to register the entire water column as a whole, instead of trying to read the water temperature around each others surface area. There are a lot of controllers out there for added piece of mind as Cliff mentioned. And if you are worried about one going haywire you can always double them up. Meaning to buy two controlors, sync them to your desired temp, and use a splitter to be able to put both heaters on both controlors. Also, depending on the size of your tank. You could always set up a regular heating unit like the ones used to heat rooms, and put it on a timer and aim it in the direction of the tank. Just some food for thought.

If you can't seperate them, try aiming a powerhead in their direction to get some water agitation going and hopefully the heat will disperse evenly, as heat naturally rises to the top whether it's on land or in water. :)
SPSKeeper

Postby BraenDead on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:17 pm

SPSKeeper,

I'm not dealing with an issue of them competing or fighting with each other. They are fairly close, but there is a lot of flow in a small area and they are not heating each other up (verified by monitoring amp usage of the outlets - there's no fluctuation of either heater's amperage when they are on).

I ordered one of the Finnex Titanium heaters that comes with it's own controller, so that I'll still have redundancy. I'm especially sensitive to this, having gone through a tank crash related to heating issues.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 pm

I swapped out one of the 200W Eheim Jager heaters for a 300W Finnex Titanium Digital Controller heaters, and the extra 100W of heating is keeping the temperature stable. However, I was pretty disappointed in the cable lengths on the heater. From the control unit to the heater is about 3 feet, and from the control unit to the temperature probe is less than that (2.5ft or so). The power cord from the outlet to the control unit is about 3 ft as well. Anyways, adding a few extra feet would make it much easier to properly route cables and keep water-sensitive things (like the control unit) located away from water. As it is currently, once it warms up I'm going to go back to using the Eheim Jager heater instead.

Anyways, just wanted to write up my thoughts on this!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Jake on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Hey Bob, I don't mean to be that guy but I had a serious issue with that Finnex titanium brand before. Had two control thingys on the cord crap out within a couple months a while back. I finally ended up with a Blueline with a 1000w element and have never been more happy with a heater. They aren't cheap though. I do keep two 200w eheim jagers as my ace in the hole though just in case. See you at the frag swap
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Jake

Postby BraenDead on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32 pm

Jake, I'm not too surprised. I considered sending it back but figured it would do as a spare heater and for cold winters. It's controlled by my apex so as long as it doesn't leak electricity in the tank, I'll be happy.

See you Saturday,

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MM on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:12 am

I had the same issues this year. I don't think it was due to the cold. I had the tanks set at 76 and the house at 69. The heaters suddenly were not keeping up and the tanks were as low 70 to 72. My clowns quit spawning. Everything else seemed fine. I turned the house up to 73 and the tanks went back to 76. I liked the house better cooler and it was cheaper but like air in the summer you just have to do it with tanks. Trust me, heating your house is cheaper than adding more heaters to your tanks.

- mark
MM

Next

Return to MARS General