Larson G - Buyer Beware

Provide feedback on club members - buyers and sellers (not stores). Also you can include feedback on trades and group-orders.

Moderator: BraenDead

Larson G - Buyer Beware

Postby Longinus on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Bought some dry rock from "Larson G" earlier today and it turned out to be the only negative buy/sell experience I have had on the MARS forums (a group I generally consider excellent!). The post he made offered 60lbs of base rock for $40, I asked for pictures but he apparently couldnt upload them and couldnt text pictures. When I arrived at his place to look at the rock he then informed me that it was now $50, since he wanted to sell it in two batches to make more money. When I refused to buy it at the inflated $50 price tag he did agree to the original $40 he had posted, however when I got it back to school (where I was donating it to our school reef project) I weighed it in on multiple accurate scales at 42.1lbs including buckets, only 18lbs light! When I contacted him about this asking if he would do anything, he thought I was trying to make a profit off it somehow, and told me I couldn't find dry rock at this price anywhere else (bought it many times for this or less on here), after which I told him I only wanted a refund back to the original price point of the rock (only $10 difference, but still!). I will give him this, there were some nice, large pieces in the bucket along with the old skeletons that definitely brought some appeal to the tank, and he did point out I had seen it before buying it (these things are so hard to gauge in person). Still, between the shady price change at the door and the massive difference in mass, I wouldn't buy from him again, buyer be ware!
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Re: Larson G - Buyer Beware

Postby Socratic Monologue on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Not at all cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Socratic Monologue

Postby Larson G on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:35 pm

I never once said that I would sell you all the rock. I was going to split it up between two people who already inquired about it the only reason I sold it was to get it out of my basement granted I never put it on a scale to see what it weighed I never once told you you could have all the rock . You asked if I had some left I said yes I didn't want this back and forth text. I have a masters of business I have better things to do then worry about then $40 on some rock like I said after you texted me the first time if you wanted it right on the line you should have brought a scale. I wish I would have taken a hammer and broken the god damn rock instead of ridicule from a guy who obviously has too much time on their hands. It was beautiful pieces prime choice caves 2 by 2 foot rock out of my own personal tank that I took down.
Larson G

Postby Larson G on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I can't believe that you think you got ripped off even so let's say it was 40 pounds that's a dollar a pound no local fish shop owner could sell you base rock for that because they would be out of business with that little bit of markup. As a seller I have a right to sell it for whatever and whoever I want to. The rest of my supplies I am giving to another reefer for free.
Larson G

Postby Socratic Monologue on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Larson G wrote:I never once said that I would sell you all the rock. I was going to split it up between two people who already inquired about it the only reason I sold it was to get it out of my basement granted I never put it on a scale to see what it weighed I never once told you you could have all the rock . You asked if I had some left I said yes I didn't want this back and forth text. I have a masters of business I have better things to do then worry about then $40 on some rock like I said after you texted me the first time if you wanted it right on the line you should have brought a scale. I wish I would have taken a hammer and broken the god damn rock instead of ridicule from a guy who obviously has too much time on their hands. It was beautiful pieces prime choice caves 2 by 2 foot rock out of my own personal tank that I took down.

Larson G wrote:I can't believe that you think you got ripped off even so let's say it was 40 pounds that's a dollar a pound no local fish shop owner could sell you base rock for that because they would be out of business with that little bit of markup. As a seller I have a right to sell it for whatever and whoever I want to. The rest of my supplies I am giving to another reefer for free.

Again, thanks to Longinus for the heads up. :shock:
Socratic Monologue

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Well sorry you felt you had a bad experience with Mr. Larson in fact I had the exact opposite experience. He was selling 3 maxi jet pumps for $5 a piece which is a steal! Not only did he sell me those pumps to me but a box a misc items as well and delivered it to my front door for only $10 if he was trying to make money don't you think he would have asked for more...just saying!

I understand your upset about the rock but in his defense without a scale its hard to just eye it up and whether it was 40lb or 60lb you still paid $1.00 per pound and that is un heard of these days.
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Socratic Monologue on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:25 pm

MadCityReefer wrote:
I understand your upset about the rock but in his defense without a scale its hard to just eye it up and whether it was 40lb or 60lb .

Weight was stated as 60 lbs in original post, without noting that the measurement was an approximation or estimate. If you don't have a scale, then you don't claim a weight.

MadCityReefer wrote:
you still paid $1.00 per pound and that is un heard of these days.

I think the complaint was not the price per pound as such, but rather the change in price between that advertised and that demanded at the time of sale. I'm under the impression that it is actually illegal in the state of Wisconsin to advertise a product at one price and then demand a higher price at the time of sale. Regardless of the legal status of that practice, it is clearly "shady", and your single experience with the seller doesn't contradict that fact, nor does it serve to undermine anything that Longinus said.
Socratic Monologue

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 pm

There are 2 sides to every story and I agree he could have stated approximately 60lb give or take but either way its still pretty petty to give the guy a bad feedback before handling the matter like adults before blasting the guy on MARS
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby BraenDead on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 pm

MadCityReefer wrote:There are 2 sides to every story and I agree he could have stated approximately 60lb give or take but either way its still pretty petty to give the guy a bad feedback before handling the matter like adults before blasting the guy on MARS

I'm not taking sides on this matter (it is what it is), but I want to point out that Longinus did claim that he contacted the seller and came to no resolution before posting this.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby MadCityReefer on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:03 pm

BraenDead wrote:
MadCityReefer wrote:There are 2 sides to every story and I agree he could have stated approximately 60lb give or take but either way its still pretty petty to give the guy a bad feedback before handling the matter like adults before blasting the guy on MARS

I'm not taking sides on this matter (it is what it is), but I want to point out that Longinus did claim that he contacted the seller and came to no resolution before posting this.

Bob

your right (it is what it is) Larson told me he posted it before they spoke about it so I don't know who is telling the truth and really doesn't matter anymore because another hobbyist (Larson G) bites the dust so whoopee!!!
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
MadCityReefer

Postby Larson G on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:48 pm

He bought the rock that day at 1 o'clock and then he posted that at 4:58 (not a long enough time if you ask me to get a reply from somebody) I was busy that whole afternoon with meetings. If he would have texted me like I asked in the post he would have gotten a reply faster and also how I was contacting him originally. I would have given him his money back and I still would. I had six people contact me all together that's why I wanted to split up the rock. And yes I would have made $10 more by doing so. When he contacted me I told him yes I still have some rock left some does not mean all. I didn't agree to give somebody a handout. (I hate panhandlers). This is the only bad experience I've ever had with anybody I've ever dealt with on Mars thanks to all it emplys to. I wish I still had a tank but this time in my life I just don't have the time to get one together.
Larson G

Postby Longinus on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Larson G wrote:He bought the rock that day at 1 o'clock and then he posted that at 4:58 (not a long enough time if you ask me to get a reply from somebody) I was busy that whole afternoon with meetings. If he would have texted me like I asked in the post he would have gotten a reply faster and also how I was contacting him originally. I would have given him his money back and I still would. I had six people contact me all together that's why I wanted to split up the rock. And yes I would have made $10 more by doing so. When he contacted me I told him yes I still have some rock left some does not mean all. I didn't agree to give somebody a handout. (I hate panhandlers). This is the only bad experience I've ever had with anybody I've ever dealt with on Mars thanks to all it emplys to. I wish I still had a tank but this time in my life I just don't have the time to get one together.

I just want to point out that we had both PM'd and texted before meeting, and we did send a few PM's back and forth trying to remedy the issue before I left feedback that evening, I was getting relatively frequent responses via PM between 4 and 5 prior to posting it later so I assumed this was an effective means of communication with him. When I was there I asked you if it was 60#, and you also pm'd later that you thought each bucket was 30# when I first raised my complaint, if you had already sold some/didnt have it all left I cant imagine why you would have told me that. I certainly was not looking for a handout, nor was I trying to panhandle, I just did not get what I expected! Honestly, when I first messaged you I just figured I would get an apology for being off on the weight by so much. Im glad this is the only bad experience either one of us has had here however, hopefully we can each just consider this an anomaly in an awesome community.
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby Steamrolled on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:50 pm

Just wanted to say "Only Cliff hands out free rock!" but.. a dollar/lb is practically free imo
Steamrolled

Return to Buyer/Seller Feedback