Red Bugs - Catching shrimp in display tank

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Red Bugs - Catching shrimp in display tank

Postby BraenDead on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 am

I have two shrimp that I would like to remove from my display tank for a time during my red bug treatment with milbemcycin oxime (Interceptor/Sentinel). Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp? I'm thinking if I feed the tank and move quickly with a net, I may be able to get them - but they don't come out often and are fairly fast/spook easily. Any suggestions are appreciated! I've also got a few emerald crabs that I would love to remove, but I think this is likely impossible to get them out (but if there are any suggestions for these, let me know).

As a side note - if you keep acropora, keep an eye out for red bugs. I'm not sure where I got mine, but I've only received acropora from 4 different sources, all local (1 store, 3 club members). I'm not sure where it came from, but please keep an eye out for these! It's not fun having to treat your tank and go through this.

Thanks!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Re: Red Bugs - Catching shrimp in display tank

Postby starboard on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 am

I have cut the top off a 2 liter bottle of soda and reversed the top into the bottle and put a rock and food source in there to keep it on the bottom of the tank when the lights are out. The crabs and shrimp tend to find their way in and not able to get out. As for the emerald crabs make sure they can walk in by sticking the opening close to a rock or something like that.
starboard

Postby BraenDead on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:59 am

Scott - did this also catch fish? The shrimp are fairly large - the coral banded shrimp has antennae about 10-12" across - I'm worried that anything that would catch the crabs/shrimp would also catch the fish, and I worry that with everything trapped in a bottle injuries could occur.

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby starboard on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 am

Shrimp and crabs come out in the dark as usually the fish sleep. It always worked for me because I would wake up and the peppermint shrimp and crabs were in the 2 liter.
starboard

Postby BraenDead on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:38 pm

Awesome - I'll give it a try and try to update this post (if I remember). Thanks for the tips!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Tonyssrx on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

Yes interesting I'm having issues also sent you a PM
Tonyssrx

Postby MM on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:02 pm

can you get rid of these with wrasses and dragon faced pipe fish? I can never see these things so I never really know if I have them for sure. I think I had them in tank for years without a problem but when other shit went wrong the sps began to die. It took red bugs plus other bullshit to begin to crash the sps. Its hard for me to study these things when I can't see the bastards.

- Mark
MM

Return to MARS General