Help me Identify what's in my tank.

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Help me Identify what's in my tank.

Postby David Korver on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 am

I am very new to the hobby and was wondering if you more experienced reefers could help me identify some of the different things I have growing in my tank. I don't really know what is good or bad. Thank you for your help
unnamed.jpg
Picture 1
unnamed.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-6.jpg
Picture 2
unnamed-6.jpg (50.07 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-5.jpg
Picture 3
unnamed-5.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-4.jpg
Picture 4
unnamed-4.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-3.jpg
Picture 5
unnamed-3.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-2.jpg
Picture 6
unnamed-2.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 903 times
unnamed-1.jpg
Picture 7
unnamed-1.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 903 times
David Korver

Re: Help me Identify what's in my tank.

Postby SPSKeeper on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:38 pm

1). Diatoms. Normal if you are cycling your tank. If not then its no bueno.
2). Caulerpa Serrulata and some sort of velvet 'algae' or Cyanobacteria.
3). Colonial Hydroids/red bubble algae. Both bad. Hydroids are not good for reefs if they take over. Kalk paste them.
4). Cyanobacteria. - not good
5). Neomeris annulata. - cool freebie!
6). Zoanthid sp. - very good
7). Palythoa sp. - very nice

Are you using some sort of clay, rocks or pebbles on your substrate? That's for freshwater, reef tanks only need sand or bare bottom depending on your preference. The gravel pebbles are leaching things into your water column causing the diatom/cyano outbreaks. I would get rid of it and stick with sand. It's much healthier for your entire system. How often are you doing water changes? What type of filtration? Can you give us more details as to how you are taking care of the system? You may want a LFS to test your water and go from there. Either way those pebbles have to go. Also your lighting. What type do you have? How old are the bulbs? Can you get more photos of the equipment you are using? Water agitation, salinity/SG and all that stuff if you could please. It will help us help you. : )

I hope that helped some and please keep us posted,

~ Matt
SPSKeeper

Postby David Korver on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for your help Matt.
The rocks have been in this tank for about 2.5 years. (opps) I better get rid of them.
30 gallon tank

Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5ppm
Calcium 480
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.024-1.025
Temp 79 degrees
I have one 1200 GPH power head
40-50 pounds of live rock
LED lighting
HOB charcoal filter.
http://www.amazon.com/OceanRevive%C2%AE ... reef+light

I use RODI water for my 20% every 2 week water change.
I top off the water daily

Do you know a good spot to buy the right sand or coral?
David Korver

Postby SPSKeeper on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:20 am

Well here may be a contributing factor. It seems like you could have some dead spots where there isn't enough flow. You need more flow than that in that size of aquarium. Have you had this issue in the past, or is it relatively recent? As far as livestock is concerned, it really is up to you as the consumer as to where you want to go. Every LFS will have pros and cons no matter what. Maybe others can chime in and hopefully help out, as I've had really good experiences with all of them.

Happy to help in any way David. : )

Any other questions or concerns feel free to ask away. I'm sure someone can assist you with their feedback as well.
SPSKeeper

Postby BraenDead on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:59 am

Not much to add - some good advice here from Matt!

Bob
BraenDead
Site Admin

Postby Longinus on Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:43 am

David Korver wrote:Do you know a good spot to buy the right sand or coral?

Ive been partial to Living Art for livestock for a while in the Madison area, Paul has a nice store and knowledgeable staff. In terms of the sand, amazon actually stocks it, but there are many routes people take with this. Personally I have no sand since it makes cleanup a breeze, but some people even go and use playsand in their tanks (may have to research the right brands/types).

Looking good so far!
-.-- -.-- --..
Longinus

Postby MM on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Damn, don't get rid of your rocks because of marine life. All of those things remedy themselves in a healthy tank. Get some uncured rock and introduce about 100 new micro fauna and let them find their own equilibrium. Almost none of what you all call pests really are. Get a large Palythoa or Zoa rock they are usually full of crazy stuff. Aipstasia and zoa eating nudis get rid of them. Keep at one reef safe wrase and relax about the micro fauna. Reef Central is full of shit.

- Mark
MM

Postby MM on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Micro fauna become a problem when your nutrient load is too high and when your diversity is low. When you only a few types of support critters, your tank is too sterile, the few there will explode especially when nutrients are high. don't do crazy shit to get rid of animals on live rock, almost all of the beneficial when you have a full spectrum of marine life in your tank and when your nutrients are not too high. Water changes, skimmer, etc. keep that in check. a variety of reef safe fish help also. Sorry if I was not helpful enough in the first post. Oh and did I mention Reef Central sucks ass. They spread all kinds of bullshit.

- Mark
MM

Return to MARS General