Any recommendations on a heater controller?

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Any recommendations on a heater controller?

Postby Daedalus on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:05 am

I am having hell of a time maintaining a stable temp in my 28g biocube. It's running on LED's so doesnt get so hot, but has five pumps in it. It's swinging almost four degree's this past week. I am thinking the heater temp gauge isn't accurate at all. So looking at a controller for the heater, so I'm not relying on that anymore. Anyone have one they recommend?
Daedalus

Re: Any recommendations on a heater controller?

Postby Rueg on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 pm

I would recommend getting a controller like a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper or a Neptune Systems Apex. More expensive than just a heater controller but much better and then you get the added benefits of having a few more controllable plugs.
Rueg

Postby MM on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:51 am

I like to use very cheap controllers, or controllers not made for fish tanks to save money. Azoo controllers are inexpensive. The stuff made for our hobby is way marked up to take advantage of us. Plus of course I am commercial and need things to be cheap. I make stuff like this when i can out of cheap parts. If you have one tank buy the expensive ones. a controller should not cost more than twenty bucks from my perspective. But this is the guy that ran a reef tank with spiral CFs for ten years.

mark
MM

Postby MM on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 am

why five pumps in a 28 gal?
MM

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 am

Daedalus wrote:I am having hell of a time maintaining a stable temp in my 28g biocube. It's running on LED's so doesnt get so hot, but has five pumps in it. It's swinging almost four degree's this past week. I am thinking the heater temp gauge isn't accurate at all. So looking at a controller for the heater, so I'm not relying on that anymore. Anyone have one they recommend?

Before I had my very expensive APEX I was using a Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller. It will set you back about $30
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Max-300-Di ... nex+heater
Attachments
finnex.jpg
finnex.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 476 times
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Postby Daedalus on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:15 am

That is actually the one I bought lol months ago, best purchase, has consistently held the temperature without flaw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Daedalus

Postby MadCityReefer on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Daedalus wrote:That is actually the one I bought lol months ago, best purchase, has consistently held the temperature without flaw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lol, I just looked at the date of the original post
KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!
tank build: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12927
MadCityReefer

Return to MARS General