Evaporation, Moisture, Winter, etc.

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Evaporation, Moisture, Winter, etc.

Postby jonesj_83 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:49 am

This fall we upgraded from a system of about 70 gallons to a system with nearly 400 total gallons. I have yet to install an auto top off so I know that I am evaporating about 4 gallons a day into my house. My house is two story, newer construction with a 220 display tank on the first floor and a 100 gallon sump and 75 gallon fuge in the basement. I have found that my windows have excessive moisture and that one of our window ledges had some mold growth last night. I am not sure how to handle this. I have thought of running a dehumidifier though I just suspect that will increase the evaporation rate. Should I just constantly wipe my windows and sills?

How should I proceed? Have others successfully tackled a similar issue?

Thanks in advance!
jonesj_83

Re: Evaporation, Moisture, Winter, etc.

Postby Rueg on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:21 am

Yeah - that is one of the undocumented features of owning large tanks with no tops. Can you put tops on the sump or tank at all? Usually wanting the best light penetration means no tops. A extreme action is to have a exhaust fan placed somewhere above where your tank is - but this can be expensive to have installed. If you have forced air heating/cooling - check to see if you have a recirculate function for the fan.
Rueg

Postby Rueg on Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:25 am

If you do go the exhaust fan route - get a humidity controlled fan switch - so it automatically switches on/off when the humidity reaches certain levels.
Rueg

Postby Finland on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:15 pm

I would highly recommend looking into an air exchanger or simply venting to the outside with a bathroom fan. I ended up replacing all the windows in my house due to moisture damage. Come winter, I was wiping windows and frames daily, but still ruined the window frames. I ran a dehumidifier, but that only helped a little. I was only evaporating 2 gal/day on a 180. When I upgraded to a 280, I installed a wall mounted bathroom fan to vent to the outside. I run it 24/7. The fan is ultra quiet, so I can't hear it over the noise from the pumps. It was night and day difference on the humidity level in the house. Absolutely no moisture on windows and humidity level is at 29% right now. A little too dry, but I can live with that. It bumps up the heating bill slightly, but not really noticeable. Humidity from large tanks can cause some serious damage if you don't do something to get rid of the humidity
Finland

Postby cpandrewschmidt on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 pm

I learned my lesson in my 1st house. Had the 180 in the wall with the back of the tank exposed to the furnace area. Come time to sell I was pumping that moist air all around my house. Attic had a bunch of mold I had to remidiate before it would sell. Costly mistake.

Second house built a room just for the tank. Put a plastic moisture barrier behind the green board. Used high gloss paint to also help trap moisture in that room. Wanted to stop as much as as possible from getting out. Humid air is pumped out of the house with a dedicated bath fan on a humidity like others recommended. Helps a lot. That room is still about 75 degrees in the middle of winter when the rest of the house is 64.

I don't think i'd to anything over a 75 g without addressing the moisture.
180 gallon mixed reef
cpandrewschmidt

Postby addicted on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

This thread has me scared that if I look up in my attic I'll see my worst nightmare.

I have a number of large tanks and always see water condensed on the windows when it gets cold outside but being vinyl frames, I just wipe it off and move on. I checked the humidity in the house tonight and it was at 45%. That seems pretty good to me and I used to run a humidifier before having fish tanks to keep it around there to avoid itchy skin.

To the people that had problems with mold, what humidity was your house at? Maybe I'm saved by having an old house with breezy walls.
addicted

Postby Rueg on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:09 pm

The following list, supplied by the Minnesota Department of Public Service, is based on a double-glazed window and an indoor temperature of 70 degrees. You will notice that the lower the outdoor temperature, the lower the indoor humidity should be.
• If outside temperature is 20 to 40 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 40 percent.
• If outside temperature is 10 to 20 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 35 percent.
• If outside temperature is 0 to 10 degrees, humidity indoors should not be more than 30 percent.
• If outside temperature is 10-below to 0, humidity indoors should not be more than 25 percent.
• If outside temperature is 20-below to 10-below, humidity indoors should not be more than 20 percent.
• If outdoor temperature is lower than 20-below, inside humidity should not be more than 15 percent.
Rueg

Return to MARS General