Group Lux Meter

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Group Lux Meter

Postby Ereefic on Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:54 pm

I know Fred brought this up many moons ago, but it never really went anywhere from there. So, i'll bring it up again. :)

Would like to find out if the group would be interested in purchasing a Lux Meter. This unit would be helpful in determining when bulbs need to be changed and also how much light is getting where in our tanks.

We could take it one step further and get a PAR meter which would also tell us how much PAR is where in the tank.

Just doing a quick search, I found this LUX Meter. It is about $100 plus shipping.

http://www.ultralifedirect.com/lux_meters.htm

If anyone thinks a PAR Meter would be better, here is one that would work. It is $179 plus shipping.

http://www.apogee-inst.com/bqm_spec.htm

Wanted to put this up and see who would be interested in chipping in to get one of these meters. With enough people interested in chipping in, it would be a small cost per person and I think the group could benefit from it.

What do you think?
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:36 am

I like the idea. Talking to Sanjay and Joe at IMAC, Joe really made it clear how useful these can be.

Eric and I were recently talking about how his 16 month old Ushios still seem to be `doing the trick' ... with this thing, we could see just how much light they are giving off and compare that to a new bulb.

Anyway - I'm in. We will have to work out some sort of policy for how to pass it around + what happens if someone breaks it. Also, what to do when someone new to the group or not `in on the order' would like it's use. Should we rent it out + repay those who invested?

I'm all for it!

Meter Questions

Postby Toddah on Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:28 am

Hey, Great Idea.
I have a question and it may be too soon to ask this but I see the 179.00 meter has the input built in. So would you use only use this meter to test the bulbs offline or would it be better to buy the more expensive unit that had the input on a 2 meter cable, so you you could do testing inside the tank underwater (provided the cable unit can be submerged)?
I have never done any lighting related testing so this could be a really stupid question.
In our sports car club, we had tire temp meters and a few other group tools that we did this way. after they were broken or lost a few times and alot of hard feelings were generated ("I'm not going to pay full price for a brand new one, this thing was used") we went to a deposit system with the replacement cost being the deposit. YOU broke it , it's yours !!! meters ALWAYS came back and we never had an issue again. Not suggesting this but just thought I would share past experience.
I would think the cost savings on bulbs would pay for itself quickly.
By the way count me in!
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Postby Mark on Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:57 am

[I was `guest' above ... seem like that's working now :D]

Anyway ... I think some sort of `you broke it, you buy it' deal has to be in place or something like it.
Mark

Lux Meter

Postby Toddah on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:33 am

Hey Everyone,
I just was on http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/ and they have a digital LUX meter for $65.00 don't know much about these but it might be worth a look.
Do you ever wonder why the only thing common in all your dysfunctional relationships with others is you?
Toddah

Return to MARS General