Fish Room in Progress...

Madison Area Reef Society - Club and reef discussion

Moderator: BraenDead

Fish Room in Progress...

Postby Landon on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:13 am

Heya guys,

I have been lurking around these boards for some time and have decided to dedicate a new thread to a fish room I am going to start building in my basement. Right now the room is pretty nasty, but should be perfect with a little fixing up. Its located under our porch. The dimensions are 8'x17'. I will need to run electric and plumbing into the room.

I'm going to post pictures of its progress starting from square one. Eventually I hope to have a 180 gallon display, 2 grow out tanks, and a water testing station with a small observation/quarantine tank.

I will update with pics all along the way. I hope I can keep people interested in this project and am very open to suggestions that you all may have.

Heres a shot of what I have to work with... its gross. :shock: That panelling has to go!

First thing to do will be to wash the walls with tri sodium phospate and then seal 'em up with Drylok...

BTW, I currently have a custom 20g nano that is about 9 months old...

Updates soon! :D
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby SilverSurfer on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:32 am

:shock: Be sure to do "Before" "after" photo's when's it's done!
ImageReality is for people who can't handle Science-FictionImage
SilverSurfer

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 pm

looks like alot of work.. but great potential!! we need more threads like this... keep the pics coming!!
my fish drink better then i do!

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Ereefic on Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:05 pm

OceanNwisconsin wrote:looks like alot of work.. but great potential!! we need more threads like this... keep the pics coming!!

No pics for you until you pick up your coral!! :D
Ereefic
Site Admin

Postby Landon on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Whew! That was a chore... walls are all washed up and ready for the Drylock...

After emptying the shop-vac 30 times I realized some sort of drain/sink is gonna be a must.

Prolly gonna paint on the 4th... later all.
The Arctic Night-lights. "As if the natural world's been turned upside down." - Lord Mandrake
Landon

Postby perpetual98 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:00 am

Looking good! My dad is the midwest sales manager for the company that makes Drylok. It's good stuff! Just remember to stir the heck out of it.

Eric
perpetual98

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:50 am

Ereefic wrote:
OceanNwisconsin wrote:looks like alot of work.. but great potential!! we need more threads like this... keep the pics coming!!

No pics for you until you pick up your coral!! :D

thread hijacker! :twisted:

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Landon on Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 pm

4 cans of Drylock and 2 cans of Kilz primer later and we got to put some paint up. The color is pretty vivid. The rest of the room is gonna be finished out in white beadboard panneling and simple trim. We also picked out the track lighting were gonna use.

Landon

Postby Landon on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:18 pm

I decided to insulate/vapor barrier the ceiling tonight. Got that done so I started tearing into the panels and found a window! I was pumped! :D

Prolly gonna throw up some drywall this weekend on the ceiling. I'll take a shot when its done. Later all!

My wife is doing her part to chip in too... she made the cool sign thats gonna hang on the door... :)
Landon

Postby OceanNwisconsin on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:09 pm

good idea on the vapor barrier... and now with that window you could make a nice lil fan vent.

OceanNwisconsin

Postby Landon on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:10 am

I think I will do just that Ocean... I'll have to see what Home Depot has to offer. I think im gonna expoxy the floor also... heres a link to what I've been looking at... http://www.floorchips.com
Landon

Postby hazard on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:50 am

A friend of mine in Janesville but an epoxy on the floor in his fishroom. It started pealing after 6 months in the high traffic areas. After seeing that I put down 1' square adhesive tiles down in my fishroom.

This is the best pic I could find of the fishroom floor. I got these from Menards. They were on clearance. I think $0.25-$0.50 a sheet. I spent alittle on it but I like it. The floor is alittle warmer also

Chris
The tropheus are calling!!!
http://malatangcichlids.com
hazard

Postby Landon on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Very good to know Hazard thanks for that tip. I will look around and see what kind of prices I can get on a material similar to what you used. Did you have to clean the floor with anything in particular before applying the adhesive tiles?
Landon

Postby hazard on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:29 pm

I used a chisel to clean any paint or other crap on the floor up before putting the tile down.

If you still want to go the epoxy route I would ask around beyond what I said. I don't remember the exact stuff my friend used

Chris
The tropheus are calling!!!
http://malatangcichlids.com
hazard

Postby polaris192 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 pm

I've put down alot of epoxy floors. Basically what makes the whole job turn out good is your prep work before painting the epoxy down. The floor must be totally clean free of any oils, dust, loose paint, etc. Also being in a basment you ushally have a higher humidity level. the lower
the moisture in the concrete the better. Also stay away from cheap products. I have had great luck with Sherwin Williams. You may pay a little more but its a good product. Hope this helps!
polaris192

Next

Return to MARS General